Friday, January 4, 2019

Grit or Treat

It's really exciting to write down all the things you want to do during the first week of the year! This feeling stays with me up until today. Look, I'm 34 years old and I'm still giddy with writing random things on my planner and keeping piles of notebooks that I'm really sure, I won't be able to finish all the pages by end of the year. Old habits are hard to die.

I'm reading my first book for this year. The goal is to read 1 book every 2 months. I was so lazy last year, I didn't read anything at all. SocMed consumed most of my free time, and really, it sucks to think about it. Felt like I wasted my time. But that is for another time.

Anyhow, so I'm into this book "Grit" by Angela Duckworth. She has PhD and Psychologist by profession. The book is like an extensive explanation of how grit works in our life.

Disclaimer: This entry is not a review of the book, btw. I just want to share the beauty of this book. You might want to read it sometime.

Some points struck me to the core. Like for example, she has this grit scale- that'll measure how gritty you are compared to other Americans. Grit is 50% passion and 50% perseverance. My result is 70%. But what surprised me is the breakdown. I'm around 4.8 passion and 1.6 perseverance! And all the while I thought I'm diligent and hardworking person! This kind of result is what they called "Passion Fantasizing". Wherein a person easily develops a passion for something but never see the end of it. Hahaha. That folks is so me. Unless I'm coerced or pressured to finish a task, that's the only time I will finish it. Bummer.

I'm still halfway. But I intend to finish it. I have so many projects running thru my mind so crossed fingers, I will be able to finish at least half of it. :) Here I go again. I really hope I can pick up one tip or two from this book to work on my grit scale. With the current status of my life right now, "fantasizing" and misplaced passion will not bring me to the finish line. Grit will do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment